January 31, 2012

The Rainy City





Let's face it: although it doesn't actually hit the top 10 list (those being reserved for more southerly origins) Vancouver is one of those legendary rainy cities. I can say with true conviction I've never seen rain like this. Because the rain we get here (which occurs 5 out of 7 days) comes at you hard, on an angle; making it virtually impossible to do a variety of things - one of these being to snap any decent picture, the other to make any solid plans. While the dear folks of Vancouver have adapted well to this climate (both in terms of fashion & lifestyle), I've still yet to come to terms with it. I shamefully trudged home, past Hermès & Louis Vuitton, with soaked hair; drenched pashmina wrapped around my head. Passing girls in their Hunter rainboots & matching umbrellas peered out at me smugly from the safety of their dry havens. Where was my umbrella you may ask? My boots? Both left behind at work of course.

But it wasn't all bad; actually quite the opposite. Although our plans to visit the Aquarium were rained out, I'm lucky to have such an obliging friend as Kris (& one with an umbrella might I add!). We ate lunch at a delightful Lebanese place called Nuba. Five minutes after we arrived the entire place was filled, & I can certainly see why. Fresh pineapple orange juice with ginger; wholesome red lentil soup; followed by what was probably the biggest/most filled falafel pita I've ever seen. I know I probably post about food too much, but being a nutrition student I just can't help myself - I sincerely love it. Post-lunch we went to The Descendants matinee. It was an unquestionably great film, & if you haven't yet seen it do yourself a favour & go! Last but not least, there's something to be said about crawling into a cosy warm bed after coming in from the rain. Curling up under a fluffy duvet after you've had a simple but lovely day with a friend. Rain or not, it can't get much better :) 





My not so great rain gear: Zara coat, Topshop shirt, American Apparel Skirt, H&M bag
P.S. Not sure how I neglected to mention it in my last post (because I was pretty estatic) but as of yesterday my blog has just surpassed 100 followers via GFC (& 24 on Bloglovin'). Big deal in my small world! Thank you so much to those of you who are following - your feedback means the world to me :) 

29 comments:

  1. I've gotta say, I'm ready to switch weathers with you-- in California, it's only rained three times this entire winter. And, like, it rained really hard and then it was eighty degree outside the next day. What is that? WHAT IS THAT. Unacceptable, I want the rain so bad!

    Jessica | Vixenelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same as Jessica, I'm a bit keen to switch places - in Australia, we've had two weeks of 40 degrees celsius (I'm guessing 110 F?) plus and I'm keen for some delightfully cool Canadian weather! I adore your stripy shirt and the beautiful red skirt. Such a lovely, rich colour. xx tess

    ReplyDelete
  3. it doesn't rain to much where i live (cambridge, UK, i love the photos! :)

    www.myladyboudoir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit is super cute! We don't get nearly enough rainy days in California, not sure yet if this is a good thing or not. And I absolutely love Lebanese food! xo

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. great photograph + cute outfit!

    http://brightandsassy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look cute! And i kind of love the rain, I wanna go to vancouver!

    pepperandchips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing all the umbrellas! Congrats Love on hitting the big 1-0-0! Yay!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    Confessions of the Cupcake Countessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the stripes and the red!
    Congrats on the followers!

    -j.
    www.thefabulousgypsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats!! looks like you are having heaps of fun!!!!

    http://solipsismdreams.blogspot.com/
    http://solipsismdreams.blogspot.com/
    http://solipsismdreams.blogspot.com/

    Loretta xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. you look amazing. I really like your skirt and you're so pretty! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! Also here in Holland we have a lot of rainy days, but you get used to it.
    Sometimes it's a big surprice if the rain falls down from nowhere.
    There you walk, unprepared for the rain and soaked from top to toe.
    But keep smiling on those rainy days, you will visit your lovely closet and change your outfit and that's never a problem I guess.

    Like this post a lot! Keep going!

    Love, Suzanne

    http://becomethefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally know your problem, we have the same in the Netherlands :) But Vancouver sounds awesome, beside of the rain! And your outfit still looks pretty awesome!

    Congratulations with your followers, I'm also following :)

    xoxo
    www.thefashionmoodboard.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you look absolutely gorgeous! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annoying rain, I hate when I have plans and I have to postpone them because of the rain. Although, I feel so happy with the noise it makes and how the green areas look after a good rain. Amazing outfit, love your coat! The soup looks delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm hopefully taking a year abroad in my degree next year and Vancouver is one of the cities I might end up in (would be studying at UBC)! Luckily I think two years of living in Glasgow's excessively wet and windy weather have taught me to be prepared for all things!

    high-hopes-and-high-heels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. That soup look so yummy!! Hope you stay dry the rest of the week! :)

    From Brooklyn with love,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey girl.... adorable look.
    I miss Vancouver but I prefer the sun. :)))
    Xoxo Raquel
    www.lemurrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your 100 followers!
    I love your outfit, you look lovely! I don't mind the rain, being born & raised in Vancouver has definitely made me used to it!
    xx



    The Urban Umbrella
    xoxo


    http://urbanumbrella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely to hear that despite the rain you still had a lovely with your friend!!! I can't stand the rain,it will instantly put me in a bad mood apart from if i'm particularly unwell and then i know i'm not missing out on anything,ha! Congrats on the followers sweetie,i hope it continues to grow in numbers you deserve it :)

    Take care,Daniella xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice post! Thanks for the lovely comment :) Going to follow you too

    blog : http://unicornboutique.blogspot.com/

    shop : http://www.unicornboutique.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your comment! Your so pretty and i love your outfit.
    Congrats on reaching 100:))
    much love
    xxx
    sequinedtouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you look great for a rainy day!! I always throw on my Burberry rainboots with a black dress and my tan trench and call it a day :)
    Would you like to follow each other and keep in touch?
    http://dallasdivadiaries.com
    Take care!
    XO, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I simply love your coat!
    great outfit

    Sincerely,
    BERTHA NATASHA

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww you look so lovely, I love your coat and congratulations on hitting over 100 followers on GFC! :) I've only recently had Lebanese food, it's yummy isn't it? It's not as rainy over here in England, i meant we might get the odd bit of rain but I don't think it adds up to raining five days out of seven! What else is it like in Vancouver in terms of weather? I've always wanted to visit Canada. xo

    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would be so delighted to have rain, instead of this -11 fahrenheit (i think) ( in celcius that sounds even worse, -23 ! ) weather.. :D I need all the warm layers I can get my hands on.
    Thanks for your comment by the way:> Have a lovely day, even though the rain!

    Satu
    - Indie by Heart

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! Im here again! Im so happy to have you in my followers here and in twitter!
    Thank u so much! I've to said that I loooove your country and I really wanna go as soon as possible! :)

    By the way... nice hair!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your look! :)

    Kisses!

    http://fi-fashionandimagination.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super cute outfit, love it!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! I read & respond to each & every comment - if you have a blog as well please leave the URL! :)